On Memorial Day weekend in 1998, a drunk driving accident tragically killed one of our esteemed members. Joel was 35 years of age and was a highly regarded member of our industry and believed strongly in continuing education. An educational scholarship was established in his honor to assist a graduating high school senior in furthering his or her education.
- The nominee must be a student in good standing at a high school in Nassau, Queens, Kings or Richmond County.
- The nominee must have an exemplary academic record. Please include a transcript.
- The nominee must write an essay as noted on the application.
Big I Tri-County will award a $1,000 scholarship to the winning student in the graduating class of 2020. This award will be given in the form of a check mailed to the education institution/college selected by the winner, to be placed in the student’s account for educational needs.
- Write an essay on the following:
If recreational marijuana is legalized in New York State, do you think it would substantially increase the number of auto accidents? Give reason(s)
If you answered ‘yes’, what could be done to help prevent this risk, if anything?
In states where recreational marijuana is already legal, what are they finding?
- Complete the online application.
- You will need to provide the name of your guidance counselor.
- A phone number for your guidance office must also be provided.
- Upload your essay. (A pdf file is preferred)
- Upload a copy of your transcripts signed by a school official. (Due to COVID-19 we understand that schools are closed and a signature by a school official may not be possible at this time. Please submit your application even if you are unable to obtain an official signature.)